Okay, so, you know how I’ve been saying that I need to clean everything in order to prepare for the next stages, painting and tuning?
Good news! I don’t have to spend this month scrubbing all the paint from the frame and oil from the engine!
I stopped by Tallahassee Powder Coating and got some general info, including what sort of prep I needed to do to any pieces before bringing them in for coating. The short answer: nothing.
A little jump backwards, first:
Over the weekend I got my hands on an angle grinder, which is what was needed to make a 27mm socket fit into the recessed area housing the lock nut for the swing arm. I’ve complained about not being able to find a socket drive which fit in previous posts. After some extensive searching online, I found someone confirming the size of the nut to be 27mm, and offering to sell custom-fabricated sockets to fit for about 40 bucks.
I opted, instead, to grab an angle grinder and shave down one of the ones I had, instead.
A few days before, I bought a small set of spanners, which had the enclosed 12-point bits on one end. The 10mm spanner fit the bolts for the driveshaft perfectly. So I took them off and, with some difficulty and a lot of help from Autumn, tipped the engine out of the frame and put it to the side.
At that point the only thing left to remove was… You guessed it! The swing arm!
Back to this past weekend: Marlin came over and we plugged in the grinder and went to work.
The grinder was both fun and awesome to work with. We spent probably half an hour total grinding the sides of the socket down. We stopped and tested it once, and it didn’t quite fit, so we ground a bit more off and then tested it again. This time we were able to get it into the recess and it turned the lock nut.
We pulled both nuts off, then the axle screws underneath them. The swing arm fell right out.
Ahead of me at the beginning of this week was the prospect of stripping all of the paint, grease and oil off the frame and engine (we’re ignoring the body parts—tank, fenders, etc.—right now). Joel suggested that the powder coaters would probably sandblast everything anyway, so I might as well just give it all to them dirty and still painted. I figured I might as well check. If I could save money by cleaning everything myself, I might as well do it. If they were just going to sandblast it anyway, then why waste the time cleaning?
I paid them a visit Monday morning and was told that they sandblast everything that comes in, regardless of the condition. This left me with just a few tasks:
- Figure out what I wanted coated and what colors to coat them.
- Organize all of the parts (coated v. uncoated, this color v. that color).
- Remove any more rubber or plastic pieces from any of the parts being coated or cleaned.
- Get a price quote.
- Gather the funds.
Luckily it’s tax return season, I hope mine is pretty good.
I’ll also be able to send any parts I don’t want coated to them and they’ll degrease and sandblast them all. Since I’ll be leaving the engine raw aluminium this is actually really good news, because it means I don’t have to scrub all of the oil and gunk off the bottom of the engine body myself. Nor will I have to work brass wool and brushes into the tiny gaps between the fins on the cylinders.
There’s still some disassembly left to do. The timing chain and some rubber bits from the engine; the tyres from the wheels, badges from the engine and frame, etc.
Overall, the elimination of the dreaded cleaning phase leaps me forward by about a month.
I’m starting to actually feel nervous about the project, now, as I’m actually looking at putting everything together again in the foreseeable future.